Re: Detect already installed partitions.

On Tuesday 30 December 2008 13:34:12 Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 December 2008, Rabbul Nawaz wrote:
> > I am working on deepOfix, one of the distribution of GNU/Linux which
> > follows debian based packaging [ http://code.deeproot.in/deepofix/ ]. I
> > would like to know, the procedure how the debian-installer detects the
> > existing partition labels and displays them. I mean when we select
> > "manual partition", during the installation, the installer shows the
> > existing partitions. I am able to get the partition table information
> > from the /proc/partitions in the installer environment of deepOfix, but
> > would  like to display the partition-labels information also, as debian
> > does.
>
> The partitioning program uses libparted to get details of the current
> partitioning of the system and to make changes to the partitioning. The
> interaction between the scripted part of partman and libparted is through
> a C program called parted_server.

Hello FJP,
Thanks for the quick respose. Installing libparted, and all its dependencies
including all the libraries inside the rootfs environment would definetely
increase the size of the rootfs. Moreover it would require a static
compilation. Is there any other way, by which I can just get the
partition-label information which is lighter than using libparted.

-Rabbul Nawaz