Detect already installed partitions.

Hello,

I am working on deepOfix, one of the distribution of GNU/Linux which follows
debian based packaging [ http://code.deeproot.in/deepofix/ ]. I would like to
know, the procedure how the debian-installer detects the existing partition
labels and displays them. I mean when we select "manual partition", during
the installation, the installer shows the existing partitions. I am able to
get the partition table information from the /proc/partitions in the
installer environment of deepOfix, but would  like to display the
partition-labels information also, as debian does.

I could not find much information by google.
The installer environment of deepOfix has just busybox commands available. I
guess if I could find the partition-label information through /proc. I also
checked the /dev/disk/by-id & /dev/disk/by-path , but could not get the
required information. Can some one help me out in this. I tried my best to
explain, if it is not clear, please let me know, so that I can try to explain
in a more lucid way.

Regards,
Rabbul Nawaz.