Re: uinput is needed for some braille devices

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> Quoting Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org):
>> Hello,
>>
>> Some braille devices have a complete AT2 keyboard.  Brltty properly
>> simulates keypresses by passing them to a uinput device.  However, that
>> module is not available in the debian installer, and thus brltty falls
>> back to simulating keypresses by passing ascii to the tty layer and thus
>> having to assume a qwerty layout, which is not user friendly.  Would
>> it be fine to include uinput in the debian installer as the attached
>> patches should do? (patch-linux-kernel-di is for amd64, other archs need
>> a similar patch as well of course)
>

> Otavio, do we want this for RC2?
>
> I have mixed feelings here:
>
> - RC2 is not meant to add features. It should be for kernel updates
> and RC bugs
>
> - the patch is very simple (however, it increases the initrd size)
>
> It would much much more have been suited for pre-RC1 than now.

If you think in another way we're not adding features but supporting
few more brltty devices. This makes me consider it.

I think we can go with it. I'll do the kernel update later today.

However if it blows up anything I'll just drop it in installer build
and let it for post-lenny

BTW, I fully agree it should be been done before :(

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116