non-free firmware, WEP/WPA, freeness and disk-order on reboot.

Hello,

When a firmware is missing, DI now prompts for a device with that
firmware. (great, I love that feature!).

If I understand the situation correctly, the fact that one introduces a
usb key causes that key to be enumerated before the sata hard disk,
which causes grub to write an incorrect configuration file (since the
standard kernel enumerate HD first).

As a workaround for that bug :

Shouldn't the "prompt for firmware" mention that this is optional? (and
the side effects).

in packages/hw-detect/debian/hw-detect.templates
> Template: hw-detect/load_firmware
> Type: boolean
> Default: true

Shouldn't the default value be false?

> # :sl2:
> Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The
> firmware can be loaded from removable media, such as a USB stick or
> floppy.

If the enumeration order can't be fixed, maybe we could add
"Probing for those firmware may prevent the system from rebooting
properly, as described in the Installation Guide, chapter..."

> .
> The missing firmware files are: ${FILES}

I also suggest to add a note like "(You can either provide a raw
firmware, or a .deb package)"

> .
> If you have such media available now, insert it, and continue.

Finally, since D-I doesn't seems to support WPA. I wonder if we really
should prompt for wifi firmware... which would encourage people to use
the very unsecure WEP protocol?
I could work on a patch to use a blacklist of modules so we don't ask
for those wifi firmwares.

Regards,

Franklin