Re: hw-detect/check-missing-firmware.sh

On Monday 20 October 2008, 20:33:03, you wrote:

> Marco Amadori wrote:

> > Is this the preferred way to achieve it? To embed the deb in the cdrom
> > media? Or shall a udeb be produced from deb source, or unpack and add it
> > to the initramfs (where it could satify also netboot use case)?

> The only method that will currently work is to include the firmware
> files in /lib/firmware of the d-i initrd. They will then be used by d-i
> and copied to /target/lib/firmware.

Yes I realized that would work as extrema ratio.

> That's not optimal really, because the files will be copied to /target
> even if the machine does not need them. Also, this will result in a
> system that has files in /lib/firmware not provided by any installed
> package.

This it is really "suboptimal" and could lead to future misalignements,
untracked files are a nightmare, although setting a standard for firmware
debs could ease writing a workaround or even something like "apt-file
search /lib/firmware*" would help.

> A better solution would seem to be to make check-missing-firmware scan
> /cdrom for debs containing needed firmware. There are some problems with
> doing that, it wouldn't want to scan _all_ debs on the CD. Also, I think
> that in many cases it will try to load firmware before the CD is
> mounted.

fjp on IRC proposed to use /cdrom/firmware for that purpose, although I think
he intended to use it only for binary firmwares and not for packages.

Just a two lines patch in "hw-detect/check-missing-firmware.sh" to
include /cdrom/firmware in the scan could hit lenny d-i in your opinion?

I added CC to the list since I mentioned other people.

P.S. Please CC me too from the list.
--
ESC:wq

believed to be clean.