Re: speakup enabled d-i?

Contributors from the debian-accessibility group may be able to
complete my answer....

Original mail to -boot:

Quoting Terry D. Cudney (terry.cudney@gmail.com):
> Hello,
>
> 	I'm new to this list, so please bear with me.
>
> 	I have been using debian for several years now, with speakup (a text-only (cli) screen-review system for blind/visually-impaired users)
>
> 	The last system I installed using a CD netinst image from Shane ??. It installed etch and then I've had to do editing of the sources.list, to upgrade to sid and lenny. Then compiling a custom kernel to include the speakup patches.
>
> 	New releases of debian, I understand, have the necessary hooks in the kernel to permit speakup to loaded as modules without a custom kernel.. that's great, but...
>
> 	Here's my question:
>
> 	Is there a plan to include speakup in the d-i? wit current kernel and installing lenny? I am reluctant to go through the arduous process of installing etch/upgrading to sid then to lenny, etc. Hoping that speakup can be included in the d-i so that we blind/visually-impaired users can install an up-to-date system with speech from the beginning.
>
> 	Please advise if/when this might be included in the d-i.
>
> 	Thannks in advance,

There has been recent work to integrate work specifically aimed for
the blind and visually-impaired people. Not only speakup but also
support for Braille devices.

I'm personnally not completely sure about the status of this work, so
I prefer leaving others to answer. I mostly didn't want your mail to
remain unanswered (the D-I team is currently preparing the release of
D-I for lenny which may explain why noone answered as of now).