Re: etch-n-half netboot problems

On Monday 18 August 2008, Eugeny Zadevalov wrote:
> > The etchnhalf netinst contains the needed components (udebs).
>
> That's really strange, since that iso doesn't contain "/dists/lenny".

Blame the way debian-cd puts a CD image together...

> So, I guess netboot and cdrom targeted d-i initrd images are
> completely different. Is that the case?

Yes. Although from another PoV they are also basically identical. It's
just how you look at it. [1] has a table that shows the essential
differences between images. etchnhalf is a bit more complicated because
it is a cross between stable and testing.

> I guess the side effect of the way how netboot images are build is
> what we saw with recent bug #494532.

Not really. That was just a major inconsistency on the mirrors for
testing. Nothing to do with what's already included in the image itself.

> I suffered the same issue and wasn't able to install new machines over
> PXE until package was re-added to the repository, that's why I thought
> to stick with .iso based (consistent) image.

The iso is consistent, as long as you use it as an iso...

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/doc/internals/index.html#id474596