Hardware compatibility mode for i386?

Hello,

I was thinking of the issue I had with disabling DMA.

A common idea is to just disable DMA on CD/DVD by default. But this may slow
down installs from full sets.

I have another proposal: an "Install - Hardware Compatibility Mode" selection
in the boot menu. This should disable all DMA and include any other kernel
options that would resolve any possible hardware incompatibility, for example
possibly disabling the framebuffer? The idea is to have a "catch-all" menu
option if the normal install just fails to start correctly.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik