Re: [RFC] Add support for shells in the graphical installer

Jérémy Bobbio <lunar@debian.org> writes:

>> > I need to think of a proper way to display a warning, but it sounds
>> > like a better idea.
>>
>> I had intended for the warning to be optional. I mainly feel that a
>> graphical alternative to typing "exit" would be useful, and certainly
>> more useful than a Continue button which only means "you have exited,
>> please confirm that you've already exited and we'll return to the
>> installer proper" (exaggerated).
>
> Ok, the behaviour I have implemented today:
>  * When the terminal process exits, the plugin exit as well.
>  * The "Continue" button has been replaced with a "Go back" button.
>  * When pressed, the "Go back" button displays a confirmation message,
>    with "Cancel" (default) and "Continue" button.  Pressing the later
>    exits.
>  * Pressing Ctrl-Shift-Escape in the terminal is a shortcut result in
>    the same behaviour as pressing the "Go back" button.
>
> After some testing, it feels indeed better.

We are doing great progress on that, indeed.

>> You must have something different as in the normal rescue case it does
>> work correctly. I doubt including rescue in the initrd makes any
>> difference, although I have not checked that.
>
> It really might make a difference.  I don't see how any changes that I
> have done could affect the menu ordering!
>

> On another topic, I have been able to fix the Home/End keys.  That was a
> side effect while trying to see if I could remove the dependency on
> ncurses completely.
>
> VTE uses ncurses to read terminfo files, if they are not accessible it
> falls back to its own internal termcap parser.  Good news is that I have
> been able to completely remove the useless dependency on ncurses, as no
> terminfo files were accessible in the installer anyway.

That is nice, indeed.

> Fixing the Home/End keys was only a matter of tweaking the minimal
> termcap file shipped in libvte9-udeb.

hehe ... great :-)

> Current size numbers (with the last ttf-dejavu-mono-udeb):
>  * initrd.gz:
>      without:  13271k
>         with:  13626k
>            => +  355k
>
>  * memory after boot:
>      without:  49340k
>         with:  49988k
>            => +  648k
>
>  * memory for the plugin:
>        before the shell:  50424k
>        during the shell:  51484k
>                       => + 1060k
>
> Last patchset attached.

This is really impressive since it has low impact on the installer and
really improves the user experience.

I won't be able to try those patches myself in next days but I fully
trust your and Frans judgement about it and if both agree I'd say to
upload it as soon as possible to get a wider testing on that.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116