Re: [RFC] Add support for shells in the graphical installer

On Wednesday 16 July 2008, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> > However, I do see that this implementation is simpler and there were
> > issues with the tabs, so post-Lenny for that is fine.
>
> The tabs should, IMHO, come with a wider redesign of the current
> interface.  Debian is going to be installed on more and more wide TFT
> screens and g-i should support them in a better way that it currently
> does.

Agreed, at least that it can be looked into later.

> I would still like to see "Yes" and "No" buttons instead of
> radio buttons for single boolean questions.  And I have other changes
> on my list… :)

Attilio did that at some point and we discussed it. Major disadvantage was
the distance between the question and the buttons which made answering
the question completely inintuitive.
I don't have any real objection to using buttons, but IMO that issue would
definitely need to be solved before we could change to using them.

> Getting cdebconf-terminal ready for Lenny will allow us to offer users
> of languages only supported by the graphical installer at least one way
> to access a shell.  And this sounds like a really desirable goal. :)

Yes, absolutely.

> > What I really don't like from a usability PoV is the requirement to
> > type 'exit' to leave the shell and the IMO unnecessary "two-step
> > exit" (first 'exit' and then 'Continue').
>
> Rationale behind it is that sometimes one mistype a Ctrl+D, and going
> back to the menu directly typing random letters sounded like a bad
> idea.

I don't think that is sufficient reason to make the normal exit so
convoluted. If I type ctrl-D in a shell in konsole it also just exits.
For me that is a case of "don't do that then" :-)

> > Why is the Continue button needed? Could an active <Go back> button
> > be shown instead of the Continue that (after a warning) just kills
> > the plug-in if it is clicked (the mouse is still active after all)?
>
> I need to think of a proper way to display a warning, but it sounds
> like a better idea.

I had intended for the warning to be optional. I mainly feel that a
graphical alternative to typing "exit" would be useful, and certainly
more useful than a Continue button which only means "you have exited,
please confirm that you've already exited and we'll return to the
installer proper" (exaggerated).

> > I fail to see the point in the "End of shell process." message, even
> > if the two-step exit is technically unavoidable. If you do want to
> > keep some message, then I'd suggest a simple "Click Continue to
> > proceed." which is much more helpful.
>
> One can reach the "Continue" button using the keyboard, that's why I

Only after you've already exited, which IMO makes it redundant anyway.

> avoided such message.  The various situations where such a shell could
> have been called also made me pounder about something like "proceed".
>
> But maybe it should just be avoided.

Yes :-)

> > Most important issue: position of "Execute a shell" in the menu is
> > incorrect after anna (before partman instead of after
> > finish-install). […]
>
> I did no changes to the actual code for "Execute a shell" or rescue
> mode options except that removing the tests which removed these options
> when DEBIAN_FRONTEND was "gtk".  So if di-utils-shell position is wrong
> when rescue-mode is put on the initrd, normal builds once the patch
> will have been applied will not be affected.

You must have something different as in the normal rescue case it does
work correctly. I doubt including rescue in the initrd makes any
difference, although I have not checked that.

If you'd like help with this I'm willing to take a closer look, but I
won't unless you ask.

> > Other issues/suggestions:
[...]
> > - if possible repeat the "type 'exit' to close the shell and return
> > to the installer" info somewhere on the screen while the plug-in is
> > running; looks like there's little room for this though
>
> I can make this message configurable through a variable, as the "View
> system log" option you were asking previously will not need "exit" but
> "Ctrl-C".  More strings, angrier Christian…

This was low priority anyway and is less needed if there is a <Go back>
option.

Cheers,
FJP