Automatic activation of pre-existing RAID/LVM devices (was: RAID10 and RAID6)

On Saturday 19 July 2008, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> > Regarding your patch: my last thoughts on it were that I'm still not
> > sure whether it is a good idea to switch to automatic detection of
> > RAID during init.d at this point, especially if we don't do the same
> > for LVM at the same time.
>
> As far as I know, we do the same for LVM.  Actually, my patch was
> mostly about making the initialization for MD a lot closer to what was
> done for LVM!

No, we do not currently activate pre-existing LVM volumes during partman
initialization. We only do that after "Configure LVM" is selected from
the main partman dialog.
See do_initial_setup() in partman-lvm/choose-partitions/lvm/do_option.

The only thing we do during Guided partitioning is _detect_ if there are
any pre-existing LVM devices, but that is done without activating them.

With your RAID patchset pre-existing RAID devices would show up
automatically, while LVM devices would not.
My current feeling is that that bit should be dropped from your current
patchset and that we should consider that question separately for both
RAID and LVM afterwards, and we should at least consider crypto as well.

I think I would be in favor of it (even without crypto), but it would
require quite a bit of testing effort.

> Both should IMHO be included in Lenny.  But maybe focusing on MD for
> the present time could be a good idea.

OK.

Cheers,
FJP