Re: i386 pxelinux.cfg no-longer serial friendly!

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 07:27:32AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Sunday 13 July 2008, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 01:14:55PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > If it can be added back without seriously complicating things, that'd
> > > be fine. I do think that vesamenu is right out for serial console,
> > > but have not actually checked that.
> >
> > I have, and I was pretty suprised: you have a real text menu with the
> > different options in an ascii box. :)
>
> That is excellent! Could you write a para about that that could be
> included in the Installation Guide in the section about booting D-I [1]?
> As you have actually seen it, you're probably the best person to do so.

Mh... as far a I know my attemps to write user oriented documentation
seems to indicate that I am not very good at it.

> Or is there a way I can do this myself using qemu? In that case I could
> probably do it myself.

Yes, pretty easily.

Add the following at the begining of
dest/netboot/debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/menu.cfg :
  SERIAL 0 9600 0

Then use netboot:
  $ qemu -tftp dest/netboot -bootp /pxelinux.0 -boot n -nographic

(Ctrl-A then c, followed by "quit" to quit)

As far as I have hastily tested, the current menu system does not work
really well under this setup, but you will get the general idea.

(General note: this -nographic trick is really useful to develop d-i on
 a remote system using SSH.)

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism