Re: Debian 4.0r3 for s/390, network install, maybe a problem with wget???

On Monday 30 June 2008, Ventura wrote:
> ~ # wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/Release.gpg
> Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org[64.50.238.52]:80
> Release.gpg          100% |
> **************************************************************|
> 378       00:00 ETA
>
> the second:
> ~ # wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/Release
> Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org[64.50.238.52]:80
>
> I don't get the file. After that, I did several tests and for small
> files, wget works but for files great then 1k it doesn't
> work.
>
> Very strange. I have no idea what is happening (I think it's a bug in
> BusyBox wget).

No. Just use a different mirror. ftp.us.debian.org is a round-robbin and
is known to be sometimes unreliable because of that.

Good that you've started on this, because the cause of your other problems
is clearly that there is something wrong with the "mirror" you set up.
It should be possible to do it that way, but basically the only way
to "solve" the problem is to very carefully compare the contents of a
real mirror and your own mirror.
You really should have told us from the beginning that you were not using
a standard mirror though...

Signing your mirror is not strictly necessary. You can also tell the
installer to ignore the GPG signature on the release file, as documented
here (look for "debian-installer/allow_unauthenticated"):
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/s390/ch05s02.html.en

Cheers,
FJP