Re: New strings for flash-kernel

Quoting Martin Michlmayr (tbm@cyrius.com):
> * Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> [2008-06-29 08:11]:
> > > +# configured so it will boot from disk
> > > +# :sl4:
> >
> > If this is displayed in a progress bar, it should have an ellipsis:
>
> No, this is the title of the progress bar.
>
> Anyway, should I change it to "Making the system bootable" to make it
> shorter?

If you think this still represents the action taken, yes, that could
be good: simpler (not being close to a full sentence) and shorter

Of course, no ellipsis, then.

> > > +Template: flash-kernel-installer/generating_image
> > > +Type: text
> > > +# This is a progress bar showing up when the system generates a
> > > +# special boot image on disk for some embedded device so they
> > > +# can boot.
> > > +# :sl4:
> > Ditto.
>
> Yes, here I need the ellipsis.
>
> None of the progress bars in flash-kernel use an ellipsis at the
> moment.  Can you add it without destroying all translations or does
> updating the translations for this require knowledge of the language?

Hmmm, this is indeed something we missed. So, well, I propose adding
the ellipsis while we're "breaking" translations.

I don't consider it safe to add the ellipsis to translations as this
requires knowledge of each language's typographic rules.

However, this does not add a big burden to translators. They'll just
have to check the affected strings and, as they already have to update
stuff, this will just add a few seconds to their work.

I'd say "go ahead" to add an ellipsis where needed.

> > Seems fairs. However, I somewhat fear that it might be hard for some
> > translators to fit in about 60 columns (the limit for main menu items:
> > otherwise, the title is cut).
> >
> > Would "Make the system bootable" be acceptable?
>
> Yes, sounds good to me.
>
> Here is my new patch.  Is this ok?

Fine by me (note that I'm only speaking for debconf templates wording..:-))

Eventually plus the additionnal ellipsis...

PS: minor apologies for not answering yesterday and have you lose some
valuable time waiting for comments.