Re: UUID support in GRUB

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:00:30AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> writes:
>
> > I'd like to receive some feedback on:
> >
> >   - Whether it would be preferable to wait untill beta2 is out to allow this
> >     change to migrate to testing.
>
> Please wait us to finish beta2.

Ok, it's in 0.97-40.  Some notes:

 1- It is disabled for installs that have root filesystem in LVM or RAID,
    because of bug #484297.

 2- It does only affect menu.lst generation, NOT menu.lst update.  So unless
    the admin explicitly takes action, it will only be enabled in new installs.

 3- Admin can disable it simply by setting the "kopt" variable to its
    traditional device-name value (and - related to #2 - subsequent update-grub
    runs will make it persist, as usual).

Please test this actively if you can (on an existing install, simply by
removing menu.lst and regenerating it).

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What good is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)