two different things:

  1- GRUB should use UUIDs internally to identify the devices it needs to
     access (for example, which device contains your /boot), regardless of
     how BIOS assigns numbers.

  2- update-grub should automatically detect the UUID of your root filesystem
     and tell Linux about it via "root=UUID=xxx" parameter.

Latest grub2 in unstable (1.96+20080601-1) is already doing #1 (to some extent)
and #2 (although #2 can be disabled).

#1 I don't expect to see in grub legacy; but #2 is trivial to implement.  My
plan is to use grub2 as a testbed for this feature, and if no problem arises
add it to grub legacy as well.

I'd like to receive some feedback on:

  - Whether current use of UUIDs in GRUB 2 is working for you (specially
    those of you with weird setups).

  - Whether it would be preferable to wait untill beta2 is out to allow this
    change to migrate to testing.

  - If you know of any reason why enabling this would generate trouble.

Thanks

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What good is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)