Re: Memtest

Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 08:42:27AM +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:
On Sat, 24 May 2008 18:57:53 +0200 Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 12:11:23PM +0430, Armin ranjbar wrote:
Does DI support memtest? is there any plan to support this in future?
Could you describe exactly the kind of memtest "support" you are
thinking about?
To have an option "memtest" in the installer main menu?
Several other distributions have this since a long time ...

As far as I understand, doing a "memtest" from a running system is less
reliable than doing it at the very low level like memtest86+ does.
Quoting from the later description:

  This tester runs independently of any OS - it is run at computer
  boot-up, so that it can test *all* of you memory.  You may want to
  look at `memtest' (in package `sysutils'), which allows to test
  your memory within Linux, but this one won't be able to test your
  whole RAM.

I think I do prefer to encourage people to use the proper tools than to
provide a less than accurate test in the installer main menu.

It is not so simple. memtest86+ doesn't find (or it requires very
long runs) to see some error. On a running system you'll see
better temperature/hi usage related problems. One of the most
effective memory testing tool is gcc, but we cannot require to
compile a lot sources in different region of memory.

ciao
	cate