Re: How to preseed install via pppoe (for A-DSL)?

I am sorry for warming up an old thread.  But I got somewhat confused
about one detail of this patch to ppp-udeb:

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 11:39:33PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2007, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > IMHO, the setting in /etc/resolv.conf is mostly for convenience.  It
> > saves me some typing, that's all.  In contrast, the setting in /etc/hosts
> > is more important since it is needed to make "hostname -d" and
> > "hostname -f" work.

[ ... ]
> +	if [ "$DOMAINNAME" ]; then
> +		echo -e "127.0.1.1\t$HOSTNAME.$DOMAINNAME\t$HOSTNAME" >> /etc/hosts
> +	else
> +		echo -e "127.0.1.1\t$HOSTNAME" >> /etc/hosts
> +	fi
[ ... ]

I am curious whether it is really a good idea to point
$HOSTNAME.$DOMAINNAME to 127.0.1.1. While this works fine for services
on the local host, it fails if the address is provided to other hosts.
For example, if one installs dnsmasq, the $HOSTNAME.$DOMAINNAME will
resolve to 127.0.1.1 for the whole network, which is obviously not the
right thing to do.

Maybe it would be better to set a hosts entry from ppp-udeb only if
there are no other network interfaces available.  When other interfaces
exist (e.g. LAN on eth0 if the host in question is a DSL-router), this
setting should be done by netcfg when it configures this interface.

Opinions?