Xen with Debian installer

I posted this on the Xen list but got no response, maybe someone here can make some suggestions?

I've downloaded this version of the Debian installer:

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz

In my domU, the installer reports that no disks are found.

If I run a shell from the installer menu, I can successfully partition the
disk /dev/sda from the command line, using fdisk

I suspect that the Debian installer wants to access the disk using a devfs
name.  How do I either
a) get the installer to use /dev/sda or
b) force my Xen kernel to create the devfs device nodes?

The dom0 system is lenny, Xen 3.2, current versions of the packages, it
was only installed yesterday.  Nothing has been compiled in-house.  The
initrd has had the modules added to match the Xen kernel, otherwise it's
content is identical to the netboot initrd.

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-xen-686"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-xen-debian-installer.gz"
memory = 512
name = "test1"
vif = [ 'bridge=eth0' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/mapper/daniel_vg-dom1_root,sda,w' ]
root = "/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal console=tty0 devfs=mount,dall"