Re: Debian installer and braille

On Friday 02 May 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Starting from version 0.9.1-4, debian's qemu has support for virtual
> braille device.  That means that you can very easily (i.e. without any
> hardware) test the debian installer support for braille device by just
> installing brltty, running:
>
> brltty -b xw -A auth=user,host=:1 &
> BRLAPI_HOST=:1 qemu -usbdevice braille -cdrom mini.iso
>
> and checking that debinst properly remains in text mode and that the
> brltty window shows what happens in the dialogs.
>
> I wonder whether that test could be part of a debinst testsuite, if
> there is one?

We don't really have a test suite. We do have individuals who care about a
certain aspect of the installer who test certain things regularly,
especially when a D-I release is being prepared.
I guess for accessibility that would be you :-)

It would also be good if someone tested the alternative "themes" that were
created.

That info about qemu would be good to have available though. Maybe you could
create a DebianInstaller/Accessibility wiki page and add that info there?
Feel free to link that page from the main DebianInstaller page.

I tried it (only quickly) and could not get it working, so some more precise
instructions would be welcome (the first command at least needs sudo):
baum_init: brlapi_openConnection: Unknown error
Warning: could not add USB device braille

I have:
ii  qemu            0.9.1-5         fast processor emulator

I think the problem may be group memberships or something?

Cheers,
FJP