Re: Locales in d-i and openoffice.org, iceweasel et al.

On Sunday 04 May 2008, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> I am working on Canadian English defaults system-wide for systems I put
> out and will be doing up packages for myspell dictionaries and such.
> I was wondering if I need to do something in d-i to get them picked up
> automatically, or if that is even possible.  I know that the default is
> en-US for these packages; I was hoping that I could have things set so
> that if en_CA is picked during install that canadian english
> dictionaries are installed instead of american english ones (also for
> aspell, the default world lists and all that kind of stuff that is
> locale dependent).

I think it should be possible to have a separate language task in tasksel
for en_CA that includes the correct dictionaries. After all, there already
are separate "British English" tasks as you can see if you fire up aptitude
and select Tasks/End-user/Localization.

I suggest you check out the source of tasksel and take a look around.
Creating new tasks based on existing examples should not be too hard.

When you have them, file a wishlist bug against tasksel.

When the dictionaries are installed when dictionaries are first configured,
the maintainer scripts in dictionaries-common should automatically select
the correct ones as defaults.
Note that the en_CA dictionaries will be installed "in addition to" the
default ones and not "instead of".

Cheers,
FJP