Etch 1/2 CD images for test (was: Misc development news (#6))

On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Please help test "etch and a half"
> ----------------------------------
>  The next point release of etch is targeted to be the "etch and a half"
>  release, with the limited intent of increasing the hardware supported by
>  the Debian 4.0 release. An updated kernel based on 2.6.24 and some
>  updated X drivers are making their way to proposed-updates. Developers
>  are encouraged to start testing these packages and report issues to the
>  associated package maintainers and the project-etchnahalf list. See
>  http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf for more information.

I have built two "etchnhalf" netinst CD images (i386 and amd64) for people
who'd like to try them out. They contain:
- current Debian Installer from unstable (using 2.6.24-6 kernel)
- etch base system
- etch and a half kernel images (2.6.24-5~etchnhalf.1)

So basically these images will install plain current etch (!), but with a
2.6.24 kernel. Main reason to create these images was to verify correct
kernel selection by the installer.

Notes:
- As these are NOT real "etch and a half" images, please do not use them
  as such!
- The graphical frontend is broken due to a recent regression in one of
  the libraries we use. Please use the textual (newt) frontend.
- Change in country selection in localechooser: instead of the old full
  list of countries it now first asks for continent and then for country.
  (For most users only visible after selecting "other" from a one of the
  language-specific shortlists.)

The images are available from:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/test/

Cheers,