Re: Installing testing on a premade volume

Frans Pop wrote:
On Sunday 20 April 2008, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
It just seems like quite a silly thing, that we can boot to RAID, we can
boot to LVM, we can even boot over the network, but we can't manage to
boot to one cylinder of a disk drive.

Feel free to file a wishlist bug report against partman-base with a request to support this, but I doubt we'll make a priority issue out of it.

Please add some solid rationale why you think it should be sopported.

From your original message I still understand that you don't actually want to install to hdd, but only use existing data there. What's the reason you cannot just add it to /etc/fstab after the installation has been completed?
I do want to install to /dev/hdd. That one cylinder of space isn't crucial, so after I get the data off the thing I'll just partition it and use /dev/hdd1 to save myself the hassle. But I didn't see any reason this would be an issue when I wiped my old install to put XP on it to switch to the current release of Debian in the other drive, so all I did was make a directory and move everything into it, so I could just install Debian around it.

It's just a matter if principle at this point, since existing tools are my only option. I doubt many others on the planet would even do this; I just like to do what's simplest for me, and makes the most sense logically. Kind of a cleansing ritual against modern commercial operating systems when I switch back into my GNU stuff.