Re: Installing testing on a premade volume

On Saturday 19 April 2008, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
> I've installed Debian many times, but this time I'm having an issue.
> I've got Windows XP on /dev/hda1, and I have a pre-existing ext3 volume
> with data I need on /dev/hdd. But I can't figure out a way to get the
> installer to use /dev/hdd as the installation volume. What's the best
> way to do this?

Choose "manual partitioning" in the first dialog and you can install Debian
basically anywhere and anyhow you want. If needed you can resize your
existing ext3 partition on hdd, or just create/use other partitions there.

You can even select that existing ext3 partition and use it on some
mountpoint (not / obviously) while keeping data if you want.

Just read all dialogs carefully, especially the confirmation dialogs before
changes are committed. See the installation guide for further info.

Be careful when grub gets installed: make sure it is installed on the disk
and MBR or partition you want.

Cheers,
FJP