Re: /var/log/* permissions

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
> > On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> >> I did an install with a daily image, suite=etch.  It went pretty good,
> >> but in the end there are several differences in the /var/log/*
> >> permissions compared to an older Etch system.  For example,
> >> /var/log/messages used to be root:adm 640, now it's root:root 644.
> >> Where does this change originate from?
> >
> > AFAICT this is not a change, but a bug in the Etch version of sysklogd
> > that has already been fixed for sid/lenny.
>
> How does the sid/lenny sysklogd come into the picture when installing
> with suite=etch?

It does not. That's why you still see the bug when you use the Lenny
installer to install Etch.

But you'll _also_ see the bug if you use the Etch installer, so the
statement in your original message that there was a difference or a change
in the way Etch was installed was incorrect.
There almost certainly will be differences, but this is not one of them.

Cheers,
FJP