Re: /var/log/* permissions

On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> I did an install with a daily image, suite=etch.  It went pretty good,
> but in the end there are several differences in the /var/log/*
> permissions compared to an older Etch system.  For example,
> /var/log/messages used to be root:adm 640, now it's root:root 644.
> Where does this change originate from?

AFAICT this is not a change, but a bug in the Etch version of sysklogd that
has already been fixed for sid/lenny.

The problem only exists for the very first messages file created after a new
installation. Files created later after log rotation should have the
correct permissions.

Cause is that the postinst script for the Etch version only created a few
specific log files while the sid/lenny version will create all of them.

This is definitely not an issue in the installer and also not related to
which version of the installer is used.

Cheers,
FJP