Re: [RFR] Release Announce draft at wiki

Jérémy Bobbio <lunar@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 08:06:56PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
>> On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> > Please take a look at current Release Announce[1] draft. It has some
>> > XXX strings that need to be fixed and also general improvement.
>>
>> I've finally taken a look at the "draft", but IMO it's *far* from ready.
>>
>> The main problems with the current draft are:
>> - it's way too long
>> - it seems to have been compiled with no clear idea of who the target
>>   audience is
>
> I do agree that the current draft does not look like a release
> announcement.  But the document I had initially written was actually
> meant to be a part of it, as a simple, human-readable compilations of
> the various changes in the installer since Etch.
>
> kernelnewbies.org does a great job in providing such changelogs for each
> new kernel version.  These documents have proven very useful and
> informative over time for someone like me: enthusiastic but not
> subscribed to LKML.  I had the same target in mind while writing this: a
> lot of people are interested about what's happening for Debian, not all
> of them read debian-boot…

Agree on both. I guess we need to make, from it, a short release
announcement that includes this long one at bellow being a more
descriptive for the ones interested on it.

>> […]
>> The target audience for the announcement are _users_, not D-I developers.
>> This means that any internal/technical changes should just not be included.
>> People that customize D-I can be expected to check the changelogs for
>> individual components.
>
> I strongly disagree.  It took me more than a full day to produce this
> "changelog" after reviewing more than 1400 entries spread in more than
> 140 packages.  We create d-i as easily extensible, easily preseedable,
> and yet we should not give an easy way to know what have happened
> between major releases?
>
> As a person working on custom installers based on stable releases, I
> will definitely be glad to have a document which will help me to support
> the new version, once Lenny will be released.

Ack. I usually need to read the code to identify how it has change
between releases.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116