Re: Call for Debian Installer testing, before D-I Beta1 release

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 07:16:29AM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 06:04:24PM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:29:33PM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> > > Which initrd? cdrom and hd-media want a cd image. nativehd will download
> > > everything from the net.
> >
> > I'm actually not sure at this point. They all have the same file name
> > on the server, and I didn't change the name.
>
> Did you use the kernel that was with the initrd's?

I used the kernel from the kernels directory. There weren't separate
kernels in the directories with the initrd files.

> > > nativehd
> >
> > OK. I'll make sure to download that one and try it. Would it be
> > inappropriate to suggest that this is a somewhat unintuitive choice?
>
> I'd be happy to give it a different name, please feel free to recommend
> one. It's very similar to netboot, but as we can't actually netboot
> anything I didn't want to be misleading in that direction either.
> There's a netinst iso that I don't want to be confused with since this
> initrd wouldn't use that (or any) iso.

That does make it tougher to get a good name. I didn't think about the
confusion with the other flavors since they don't exist for m68k. I'll
see if I can think of something, but I understand the problem now.

> > > It looks like lowmem level1 kicks in at 64Mb and level2 at 32Mb. I
> > > haven't pushed any of those numbers in quite a long time, so we can
> > > likely get by with less than that.
> >
> > That makes sense, I guess. I don't think I have any m68k systems with
> > more than 64M of RAM total. The Q840AV could have 128M, but I haven't
> > filled it up completely. Some of my older systems only have 16M. Is
> > there an easy way to force it into a particular mode for testing?
>
> AFAIK, I need to build an initrd with a modified lowmem udeb. That's not
> really a big deal. If someone's willing to test it, I'll build it.

I could do some quick testing just booting it up to see if it runs and
what mode it uses. A full install takes a long time on such old hardware.
If you just want to see if it will start rather than a full install
report, I could do some testing. Full installs would be tougher to
find the time to complete.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com