Re: suggestion for install manual:in S 6.3, mention alt-F5 as return to gui from a virtual console 'shell'

Hello,

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 16:17:27 +0100 Tim Richardson wrote:
> in most systems, and if you are not installing over serial console, the
> easiest method is to switch to the second virtual console by pressing
> Left Alt-F2[18] (on a Mac keyboard, Option-F2). Use Left Alt-F1 to
> switch back to installer itself.
>
> but if using gui then Alt-F5 is needed to return

Why not include such essential things in the installer itself ???

In the text mode installer we have a footline like

<Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons

Maybe there could be a second line added:

<Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons
<Crtl+F1> this installer screen; <Ctrl+F2> a shell; <Crtl+F4> debug info

In the graphical installer, whe don't have such footline at all.
But it would be much easier there, because of higher resolution and
thus beeing able to display more characters on one line. So:

<Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons
<Crtl+F5> show this installer screen; <Ctrl+F2> jump to a shell; <Crtl+F4> show debug info

This would, of course, be an agressive changing, but you would
always have this information in the eye of the user then.

Remember: how many users read the manual before installing?

--
Kind regards
Holger

Created with Sylpheed 2.3.0
    under THE NEW DEBIAN GNU/LINUX 4.0 »Etch«
        http://counter.li.org/,  Registered LinuxUser #311290
Try out OpenGL 3D-Desktop Beryl! www.beryl-project.org