RE: [win32-loader] Updater

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Robert Millan [mailto:rmh@aybabtu.com]
Enviado el: martes, 05 de febrero de 2008 0:23
Para: macanas_ped@gva.es
CC: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Asunto: Re: [win32-loader] Updater

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 10:53:40PM +0100, Pedro wrote:
>> I suggest improve DIL (Debian Installer Loader) to update Debian from
>> Windows (i.e. I cannot connect to the Internet using Debian, because I
>> don´t use ADSL/Ethernet, but wvdial and Vodafone Mobile Internet /
>> Huawei E220 USB modem).
>
>> But I cannot install the packages without connecting to the Internet.
>
>> And I can only connect to the Internet using Windows.

>Usually, it is better to look for the real problem, and try to fix it where
it originates.

>Your problem seems to be that the vendors of your hardware didn't think
of your freedom to use it with anything other than Windows.

Yes and no. Yes, because within the USB MODEM there are only the Windows
driver files

No because I could download the drivers from Internet (*.deb package), but
it is broken because I could not install wvdial and other package on it
depends (and the packages on the other packages depend: this is an aeternal
chain of dependencies).

>So I suggest that you get better hardware, and take their negative attitude
into account next time you adquire new devices.

I think this promotes the users continue ONLY using Windows, if they cannot
using Debian or update it, when they have the hardware drivers in Debian and
a broadband connection.

>Building a mechanism that lets Windows "borrow" its internet connection to
a Debian system in another partition is a considerable effort and isn't
worth it IMHO.

Robert Millan

I thought the same when I saw the Debian Installer Loader , that loads
Debian from Windows. I would finish the work adding this Updater. In any
case, it could be based in APT-ZIP, that really exists.

Regards.