Install hangs very early

Dear all,
I´m trying to help a friend install debian in this machine:

CPU Intel Q6600 -   CORE2 QUAD Q6600 1066 Mhz 2.4 Ghz (in a box)
- Mobo Intel DQ35MPE Sound / VGA / SATA / GBLAN
- 4.0 Gb mem DDR2 800 Mhz (4 x 1 Gb)
- Video GF 8600GT 512 Mb PCI-E, XFX, 128 bits
- HD 500 Gb SATA II, 8 mb cache

(Things get a little more complicated since I talk to her over skype. I have no access to the machine)

The machine will be used for scientific computing, doing population genetic calculations.

We downloaded this iso, checked md5sums ok:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r2/i386/iso-cd/debian-40r2-i386-netinst.iso

First boot, the install process hanged before language selection, with

acpi: assume root bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0

We tried for three to four times with the same result.

Researching on google, we found a suggestion to set sata to ahci in bios, then retry the installer in expert mode with

install pci=nommcponf

This made the install proceed to the language selection screen, but soon after that it said 'no cdrom detected'. Since it was the install media, we got stuck.

We returned the bios to the original config, then we tried to install with a testing netinst, from:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso

But the same error apeared.

Then we tried with amd64, from:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r2/amd64/iso-cd/debian-40r2-amd64-netinst.iso

This image would not go beyond 'booting the kernel....' step.

So, I am getting out of ideas on what´s happening. Other users seemed to have been successful using this cpu, but on other motherboards, not intel.

Also, the debian-installer errata, in http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/#errata
does not mention such issue.

It´s hard to give more output about the machine, because no image was able to give me a console. If its important, I can try with other live distros.

Can you help me?

Thanks much,

Bruno