Re: [RFC] Stripping Latin range in fonts used by g-i installer?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 06:01:49PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl):
>
> > With a good image there are differences (the latin characters look
> > "thinner"). It should be up to the translators to decide.
> > The most significant difference is probably in punctuation: periods, commas,
> > dashes, brackets, etc. This is an aspect of the exclusion I had not really
> > realized before.
>
> This is something I was considering: leave all punctuation characters
> and maybe also digits as well. So, in short only strip the letters
> (simple and accented).
>

> > Something else: at least one codepoint is missing in the Abyssinica font
> > ATM. It shows up in the mirror country selection list: codepoint 1316.
>
> Hmmm, that should be reported to the font package. From what I see in
> fontforge, a few other codepoints are missing: 1315, 1311, 12D7, etc.

It might be helpful to check existing codepoints in the ttf file using the pdf chart [1];
in case anyone wanted to do this sort of checks note that the "codepoints" column
in the spellchecker page [2] lists the set of codepoints used in the various po files

[1] http://www.alioth.debian.org/~zinosat-guest/ttf-sil-abyssinica.pdf
[2] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/spellcheck/level1/index.html