Re: Debian install issues with i386 EFI based system

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:20:13AM -0600, Charles Abdouch wrote:
> We're actually doing our own EFI Based BIOS.

Who's "we" ?  (sorry for having missed some context)

> We considered using LinuxBIOS
> but there isn't any Intel support for it.

Well, no, but I'm told AMD is strongly backing it up.

> Also there were other problems
> with using LinuxBIOS based on it using GPL instead of LGPL due to some
> licensed code we would have to include with it

Have you talked to the LinuxBIOS developers about this?  I heard they were
going to relicense payload-usable code.  Actually, they had plans to make
a library out of it.

> as well as Windows support.

This changed a lot after last summer's GSoC (aimed at making Vista bootable),
I'd encourage you to recheck.

> We're currently adding our own version of CSM (Legacy Support), but other
> then a couple of minor packaging and program issues, Linux supports an
> EFI-Only BIOS very well.

It may do, but the whole model is designed with lockdown and restrictions
in mind (why would you want a memory curtain in your firmware?  oh well).

Since you mention Linux, maybe you're interested in Torvalds opinion on EFI:

  http://kerneltrap.org/node/6884

I find this line particularly insightful:

  "not that I'd ever claim that the BIOS is wonderful either, but at least
  everybody knows that the BIOS is just a bootloader, and doesn't try to
  make it anything else."

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)