Re: Debian install issues with i386 EFI based system

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 05:22:45PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
>
> > On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Charles Abdouch wrote:
> >> I haven't tested GRUB2 yet.

> >> I will look into it after I get the initial work done.
> >
> > Note that grub2 may be an option for the installed system, but I have doubts
> > if it is a real option for CD images. Please consult with the debian-cd
> > people before you go down that road.
>
> CD support is being worked on upstream side.
>
> Robert, do you have any status from it?

Work has been done as part of GSoC to:

  - make GRUB able to boot from CD via eltorito
  - make GRUB cable to chainload to eltorito CDs

I plan to get that synced with CVS and merged upstream.  I haven't got
time to do it yet, though.

Other nice features that may be interesting for CD images are 64-bit cpu
detection, and scripting support.

As for EFI (is this thread about EFI?), it's supported, but still not very
well (check the BTS).  Anyway, most of non-ia64 EFI machines are Apple boxen
which provide a way out of the EFI madness (so-called boot camp).

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)