Re: The d-i blocks on new hardware

(CCing in case you are not subscribed to the list.)

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 10:25:04PM +0200, Jeremy Guitton wrote:
> I tested several methods (CDs, USB, floppy, mini.iso, ...) and the
> installation always blocks at the same place. That blocks after the
> selection of tasks in tasksel. I tested several tasks and nothings,
> always the same !! The .debs files are downloaded and the d-i bloks,
> the .debs files aren't installed. There is nothing in the log, the last
> line is the download of the last needed .deb file.
>
> Any idéas ?

It really sounds like you are experiencing #425397 [1].  We are probably
going to backport the fix and it should be included in the next point
release of Etch (r2).

In the meantime, could you please help us by trying a recent daily
build [2] of the development version of the debian-installer (this will
install Lenny (aka testing)).  You should not experience similar
blockage with it.

If you still want to install Etch now, you can try to type something
like this at the installer boot prompt:
 install maxcpus=1

If the installation goes smoothly, you will probably need to remove the
kernel parmeter from your bootloader (grub or lilo) after the
installation.

Finally, it would be really helpful if you were willing to test the
future Etch point release to see if we manage to really fix this issue.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/425397
[2] http://people.debian.org/~aba/d-i/images/20070901-22:50/

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism