Re: preseed during cd boot

Op 11-02-2007 om 10:45 schreef Franco Vecchiato:
> Il giorno mar, 06/02/2007 alle 22.47 +0100, Geert Stappers ha scritto:
> > Op 05-02-2007 om 21:47 schreef Franco Vecchiato:
> > > Therefore it seems impossible to use file preseeding with the
                   ^^^^^^^^
> > > *standard* etch installation cds or dvds.
> >
> > And what happens next?
> >

> I tried again to use file preseeding with standard etch installation cd
> (the first) putting the preseed file into a floppy, and I did "linux
> preseed/file=/floppy/preseed.cfg" at the cd boot prompt;
> an error is generated (red screen) remarking that download of debconf
> preseeding file failed and suggesting to continue with a normal
> non-automated installation, but the message tells nothing about paths to
> the preseed file (e.g. file:///floppy/preseed.cfg).
> I tried with ext2 as well as with vfat formatted floppies.
>
> My own hope is to have simple, fast and flexible file preseeding
> methods, without the need to build new custom installation cds or dvds,
> different from the standard ones, every time you change the preseed file.

FWIW I'm happy with network preseeding (and booting from CD)

Where there is a need for _file_ preseeding, I can point
to http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2007/02/msg00383.html
and advise to find under http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/
initrd rebuild documentation. (this mailinglist posting implies
that this mailinglist is allready found ;-)

> Cheers
>
> Franco Vecchiato

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
seems impossible: in the free software world: not enough time given