preseed during cd boot

Hello,
my name is Franco Vecchiato, I'm trying to use preseeding during cd
installation of debian testing i386; I use only the first iso cd image
of debian etch till now, and
I want to use file preseed, not initrd or network, see appendix B of the
new debian installation guide.

If you use cd/dvd installation method you can use file preseeding
(appendix B.1.1), and you can specify boot parameters in syslinux.cfg or
manually at the boot prompt: preseed/file=/cdrom/preseed.cfg (appendix
B.2.1).
It seems that you only can place preseed.cfg on a cd or dvd for file
preseeding, you cannot make a cd/dvd installation and take preseed.cfg
from a usb device.

Where can I place preseed.cfg?
If I correctly understood the documentation I cannot place it in a
separate cd if I cannot change cd during the installation when the
installer loads it in ram.
I can only place it in the root of the first installation cd, so I have
to change it.

In other words, it's impossible to use file preseeding with the
*standard* etch installation cds or dvds.

Do I misunderstand the documentation?
Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Franco Vecchiato