Re: r44961 - people/rmh/win32-loader

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 04:33:12PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
> > What's wrong with that?  We're only preseeding with valid data.  hostname,
> > domain, proxy, timezone, etc, are values obtained from Windows.  Migrating to
> > Debian doesn't mean user has to reconsider all OS-independant setup, IMHO.
>
> I don't know of any windows users who actually configure something like
> their hostname in windows.

Then they won't bother about configuring hostname in Debian, either.  If they
care about hostname, it'll be "properly" setup in Windows.  If they don't,
it'll be setup to some insane default.  Either way, I don't think we should
provide something that is harder to configure than what they already have.

> I certianly wouldn't want to waste time
> figuring out how to configure that stuff in windows before blowing it
> away with d-i.

Ok, but that's only for the "I never use Windows, but I accidentaly got this
computer running Windows and I need to migrate it ASAP" case.  I think the
proper way to support this kind of user (which, hey, includes myself too!) is
an "expert mode" that lets you override all the parameters, including preseed
line and base URL from which linux initrd.gz will be fetched.

I'll get to that eventualy.  In the meantime, you can always edit c:\menu.lst
before rebooting :)

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot@aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.