Re: How to preseed install via pppoe (for A-DSL)?

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 10:07:41PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > I am still somewhat confused.  Is ppp-udeb meant to completely replace
> > netcfg?
>
> Let's reward your persistence with some information.

Thanks for the great explanation, Frans!

> > Shouldn't it ask for netcfg/get_domain then?
>
> I'm not sure that it's useful if I look at the way the udeb currently works.
> The most important use of the domain name is for the "search" option in
> /etc/resolv.conf.

IMHO, the setting in /etc/resolv.conf is mostly for convenience.  It
saves me some typing, that's all.  In contrast, the setting in /etc/hosts
is more important since it is needed to make "hostname -d" and
"hostname -f" work.

> I expect that ppp-udeb assumes it is the task of dhcp to correctly update
> /etc/resolv.conf and thus that dhcp should provide the correct domain name.
> Thus asking for it would be redundant.

While having ppp-client and dhcp-server on the same host is a pretty
common setup (after all, most consumer dsl-routers offer this option), I
completely fail to imagine the use-case of the ppp-client/dhcp-client
combination.

> Note also that for normal netcfg, D-I basically works the same way when dhcp
> is used: if the domain name is entered manually, it is ignored. See for
> example #328646.

But isn't this considered to be a bug?