Re: How to preseed install via pppoe (for A-DSL)?

Op 09-12-2007 om 22:07 schreef Frans Pop:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > I am still somewhat confused.  Is ppp-udeb meant to completely replace
> > netcfg?
>
> Let's reward your persistence with some information.
>
> Both ppp-udeb and netcfg have "Provides: configured-network" in their
> package info. Some other packages depend on "configured network". This
> means that when both ppp-udeb and netcfg are present, the first that
> completes successfully will satisfy that dependency and the other no longer
> needs to be run. As ppp-udeb is "higher" in the menu than netcfg, this
> indeed does effectively mean that ppp-udeb replaces netcfg.
>
> > Shouldn't it ask for netcfg/get_domain then?
>
> I'm not sure that it's useful if I look at the way the udeb currently works.
> The most important use of the domain name is for the "search" option in
> /etc/resolv.conf. For ppp-udeb that file is updated by the /etc/ppp/ip-up
> script. Note that it is _updated_, not written from scratch.
> I expect that ppp-udeb assumes it is the task of dhcp to correctly update
> /etc/resolv.conf and thus that dhcp should provide the correct domain name.
> Thus asking for it would be redundant.
>
> Having D-I set the name could even be incorrect as it could well be that it
> would get removed or overwritten when the system is rebooted and ppp/dhcp
> are started and create a new /etc/resolv.conf.
> A quick look at /sbin/dhclient-script tells me that indeed an old "search"
> option is removed, while there is support to keep old nameservers.
>
> Note also that for normal netcfg, D-I basically works the same way when dhcp
> is used: if the domain name is entered manually, it is ignored. See for
> example #328646.
>
> Cheers,
> FJP

FYI:
The above posting is the type of posting that makes me contributing
to the project where it is posted.
If the mailinglist had a rating system, then would get the posting
several points for me.
(nope, I don't say mailinglists should get a rating system,
I'm saying that the posting is a good posting. )

Cheers
Geert Stappers