Re: How to preseed install via pppoe (for A-DSL)?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 03:23:47AM +0200, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
> Josef Wolf wrote:

> > Well, here's the reason why postinst returns error code 30.  According to
> > debconf-devel(7),  error code 30 from "dh_input high netcfg/get_hostname"
> > means that debconf will not present the question to the user.  There's no
> > reason to present the question, because it is preseeded and the answer is
> > already known.  But there's no explicit exit in the postinst, so why does
> > postinst exit here? Is confmodule terminating the postinst script?
>
> 'set -e' might be the answer to your why queestion.

Oh, I've overseen that.

> Oops, apprently ppp-udeb's postinst should handle this return code (30) for
> preseeding to work correctly (but I'll need a second oppinon from either
> Joey, Frans or Colin about this, since I am not sure about preseeding).

IMHO, it is a problem with the debconf protocol.  The config/postinst
scripts should not need to bother whether the question was actually
asked or preseeded.  They should just GET the value and debconf should
do whatever needs to be done to retrieve the answer.  The only exception
I can imagine would be asking for passwords.

OTOH, debconf-devel(7) says in section "THE POSTINST SCRIPT":

  Avoid asking questions in the postinst.  Instead, the config script
  should ask questions using debconf, so that preconfiguration will work.

But I am pretty much new to those installer/debconf things.  Therefore I
assume my opinion stated above is based on mis-understandings and is
very wrong.

> To test what I'm saying, please try this:

[ ... ]

> 	db_input high netcfg/get_hostname || [ $? -eq 30 ]

Works like a charm!  Thanks!

So now I'm going to create a modified udeb and include it onto the cd.