Re: [RFC] No longer create full set of static devices during install

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:38:49PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 10 November 2007, Frans Pop wrote:
> > The attached set of patches allow us to no longer need/create the current
> > huge set of static devices during installation. Instead /dev from the D-I
> > environment is bind mounted to /target/dev after debootstrap has been
> > run.
>
> This has been committed now. Will upload tomorrow if there are no further
> comments.

+1; the previous situation has been bothersome.

> > debootstrap is modified to include in the udeb only the minimal tarball
> > of devices currently also included in the regular debootstrap binary
> > package. We still need the udeb to be "arch any" because of the utility
> > pkgdetails and because /usr/lib/debootstrap/arch needs to be included.
>
> We could probably make the debootstrap udeb "arch all" by moving pkgdetails
> to base-installer and passing '--arch $(udpkg --print-architecture)', but
> I'm not sure that's worth it.

+1 also, except I'd do it by adding:

  elif type udpkg >/dev/null 2>&1 && udpkg --print-architecture >/dev/null 2>&1; then
    ARCH=`udpkg --print-architecture`

... to debootstrap rather than passing the architecture in from
base-installer.