Re: [RFC] Support for using multiple CDs during installation

Frans Pop wrote:
> It's logical from the installer's pov, but not from a _user's_ pov.
> How the hell is he supposed to guess that he will be asked about additional
> CDs later when confronted with a question about a network mirror?
>
> If I (as a newbie) were confronted by that question I would think "OK, so
> that's it: I either use the mirror or have to do with what's included on
> this one CD; let's choose the mirror to be safe".

Hmm, if you were a true newbie, wouldn't it make sense to assume that
the Debian installer has a way of using all these CDs you bought? It
seems to me that the user who would be more confused/disheartened on
seeing the mirror question before the CD question is a user who's aware
of Debian's checkered past (which included broken multi-cd support for
at least one pre-di release, IIRC).

I suppose we could go back to base-config's concept of:

Apt currently knows about $N packages.

	add a mirror
	scan another cd
	done

Although I never felt that was a good UI, and it's not friendly to
preseeding.

> And you're not answering the case where someone would want to use 2 CDs + a
> network mirror because he has a reasonable but not great Internet
> connection.

It's unlikely that tasksel is going to want anything beyond what's on
those first 2 CDs, so it would be reasonable to just use them for the
install and set up a mirror later.

--
see shy jo