Re: [RFC] Support for using multiple CDs during installation

On Friday 26 October 2007, Joey Hess wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > +db_input high apt-setup/cdrom/set-first || true
> > +db_go || exit 10
> > +db_get apt-setup/cdrom/set-first
>
> If this generator ran after the 50mirror generator it could check to see
> if network sources were enabled in sources.list. If they are, and
> a DVD is available, there's probably no reason to ask the question at
> high. In the case of a full size CD I haven't figured out a good
> heuristic for lowering the priority yet, but I'd like to find one. :-)
>
> Hmm, another way to look at this is, there's code in the mirror
> generator to ask if a mirror should be used. There's code in the cd
> generator to ask if additional cds should be used. This is redundant,
> the answer to either question implies the right default answer to the
> other.

My thought was that the user should first be allowed to load additional
CD/DVDs or not and based on that we _could_ change the defaults/priority
for using a mirror.

OTOH, as you've argued yourself in the past, having additional CDs available
does not guarantee that all packages you want for (l10n) tasks are
available. They could still be on a CD in the set _after_ the last one you
scanned, so having a mirror could still be useful.

I'm quite happy with the way things currently work.
I'd suggest the following:
- I'll take a last look at the templates I have now (using Christian's
  comments)
- do a first commit and upload _without_ translations enabled
- this will make it relatively easy for others to actually try multi-CD
  installs in practice and see how it works
- we can then tune the workflow and dialogs, and enable translations for
  new/modified strings afterwards

One thing that we may want to add is to check whether a CD has already been
scanned (you can currently scan/add a CD multiple times; this is harmless)
and whether there are "gaps" in the set (CDs 1, 3 and 4 scanned, but CD 2
forgotten).

A simple check to add would be if the CD has actually been changed (that the
ID is not the same as the last one scanned), or even that a CD has not yet
been scanned. I'll probably add that.