Re: grub-install in chroot

> I've been following the instructions on installing a Debian GNU/Linux
> system [1] and found an issue that was not completely covered: I could
> not run grub-install in chroot because there are no /dev/hdX special
> files.

I agree that something is missing in the instructions. But on the other hand
they have never been intended to be foolproof and to cover every possible
problem that may be encountered.

What I have done is:
- add a disclaimer at the beginning of the appendix;
- add a section about creating device files that mentions some options
  for dealing with that;
- add a short comment to the grub installation instructions.

You can see the changes here:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/d-i/trunk/manual/en/appendix/chroot-install.xml?op=diff&rev=49850&sc=1

and they should also show up within the next few days at:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apds03.html

Thanks for spotting this issue.

Cheers,
FJP