Re: rdate udeb

On Saturday 21 July 2007 20:30, Joey Hess wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > - I just tried rdate on i386 and sparc64. On i386 it works fine, but
> > on sparc it fails with a "bus error". Does it work on other
> > architectures. especially arm?
>
> Sure, it works on arm. rdate is pretty simple, it should work on all
> (maintained) arches.

As I said, it doesn't on sparc. That is not completely surprising to me
though as I've also had problems with chrony in the past on sparc.

> If we used rdate in d-i, we'd also need to use hwclock --systohc. Maybe
> in a finish-install script? But we'd also need to use that if we used
> ntpdate or similar.

So we'd need a udeb for that or can we just run it in the chroot?
I think running it in the chroot should probably be possible (as long
as /dev/rtc exists). At least, if I create /dev/rtc in a pbuilder chroot
it works fine.

With that semi-solved and given that we can use the NTP timeserver pools
as a source, I guess I don't have any real objection to accepting the
udeb, provided that the dependency stuff in debian/rules is correct.