Re: Enabling 'quiet' kernel option for D-I images

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> Quoting Otavio Salvador (otavio@debian.org):
>> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
>>
>> > I'd like to propose to add that option by default for i386/amd64 for all
>> > boot methods _except_ for expert mode. That way people can still check
>> > the console for errors and such if the installer fails to boot by booting
>> > in expert mode. This would of course need to be documented; at least in
>> > one of the the syslinux help screens.
>>
>> I like the idea. Many people don't like the verbosiness of installer boot.
>

> I tried this in QEMU on my laptop, which is not exactly fast.
>
> The only drawback I see is that the user is left for a while with
> nothing happening apparently on the screen which may give a false
> impression of the process being "hanged".
>
> Apart from this, I like the idea.

If we think that it's too long without giving information to the user,
we can add some progress status during the init scripts and then
provide some more information to him/her to avoid this.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116