Re: Speed-up encrypted partitioning

On Thu, May 31, 2007 20:51, Soenke Ruempler - NorthClick wrote:
> Is it possible to skip the random-overwrite of existing data (erasing disk
> step) if harddisk encryption is chosen? I think there is no need if it's a
> fresh harddisk and it's slooooooooow with a big harddisk (up to several
> days).

There are already two bug reports filed on this subject (381898 and
400034). Hopefully it will be implemented before the next release, but
note that it *is* still a good idea to do the erase step on a completely
new HDD as an attacker might get some information from looking at which
sectors are in use so I wouldn't recommend it.

--
David Härdeman