Re: rtc module hangs system - prevents new installation of Etch from fully booting

Quoting Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl>:

> On Wednesday 23 May 2007 12:07, nigeltamplin@f2s.com wrote:
> > I have an old x86 system that fails to fully boot after a clean
> > installation of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0.
>
> Same message, so same answer:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2007/05/msg00417.html

Hi Frans,

As I said this is not causing me a problem, so I'm not really after an answer.
I just thought that as I had a system where the current stable release of
Debian won't boot on, that I had a good example of a serious stability issue -
if anyone wanted to investigate it.

Probably you are right and this is fixed in a later kernel, there are certainly
lots of references to rtc in the kernel changelogs, however me upgrading my
kernel does not help someone else installing Debian 4.0 on a system like mine.

How do you suggest we improve Debian 4.0 so it boots ok on systems like mine?

My thoughts were:

  Describe this problem in the Errata ; or
  Blacklist the rtc module in the udev package ; or
  Fix / remove the rtc module in the linux-image-2.6.18-4-486 package

What do you think would be best?

Nigel