Re: Installation report on Dell PowerEdge 1950, 2950, NIC issue

On Friday 23 March 2007 14:27, Allard Hoeve wrote:
> Comments/Problems:
> The network cards on these servers are detected in reverse order. A fix
> is in 2.6.19 (pci=bfsort), but for etch we shall have to edit the udev
> naming persistance rules in order to have NIC1 = eth0, NIC2 = eth1 like
> other generations of PowerEdges.

Please define "reverse order", reverse in relation to what?

The order in which NICs are detected is determined by the kernel. The
installer (through udev) will make sure that the order in which the were
detected during installation is preserved on reboot into the target
system. AFAIK that is the most we can do.

And indeed, you can tune the order if NICs to your liking after the
installation has finished by editing the relevant udev configuration
file.

> Thanks for a great installer!

Thank you Allard.

Note: the report was never accepted as an installation report because of
the "Subject:" line. IMO there is no real need to file it as there were
no issues.

Cheers,
FJP